Submit Your Feedback

We value your feedback! If you have a question or concern or need assistance from the CAB, please fill out one of the following e-forms. The Resident Services Team will follow up with all form submissions within 48 hours of receipt. 


General Inquiries

Maintenance Request Form

Water Concern Form

Comments for the Board of Directors

Community Related Emergencies

If your question or concern is a community-related emergency (i.e. irrigation leak, community space safety hazards) and requires an immediate response, please call the Resident Resource Center, Sterling Center, or Overlook Clubhouse during business hours or After Hours Emergency Line at 800-274-3165. 

Resident Resource Center - 720-661-9694

Monday - Friday - 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Sterling Center Information Desk - 303-882-7603

Sunday - Saturday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Overlook Clubhouse - 720-728-7257

Monday-Friday: 5:00am-9:00pm

Saturday: 9:00am-8:00pm

Sunday: 9:00am-5:00pm

In-Home Emergencies or Issues Contact Information:

For any life-threatening emergencies please call 9-1-1. If you have an urgent concern about your home please use the following contact information to troubleshoot your issues. 

Douglas County Non-Emergency Line - 303-660-7500

Xcel Energy - 800-895-2999

  • Power and Gas issues or outages

CenturyLink ON 

Colorado Parks and Wildlife 

  • Business Hours 303.791.1954
  • Emergency After Hours 303.239.4501

Lumiere - Technology 

DreamFinder Town Homes - 720-571-1440

  • Work Order Requests
  • Violation Responses
  • General Inquiries 

Service Plus Community Management

Douglas County Animal Control - 303-660-7500

  • Animal Control Issues 

Douglas County - 303-660-7480

  • Snow Removal Concerns

Poison Control - 800-222-1222